Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Stop & Smell the Roses & Appreciate Family

So how many people does it take before the hard head relaxes? No, this is not an Aggie joke (although I know a few if you're interested.)

Yet again today, my orthopedic surgeon advised me to SLOW DOWN & in fact recommended that I take a short nap EVERY DAY. After I got back up from the floor in hysterics, I asked if he took a nap daily. "No, but I'm not as hard on myself as you are & I'm 61, not 32," he responded. Ouch! I'm working on it... really.

Even better is the Daddy Diary blog today that talks about over-booking our kids in one camp after another. Where is the balance between too much activity & lazy kids? Read the dad's blog for his complete thoughts, but he's not alone in thinking that it's okay to have some lazy summer days, curled up with your kids. Little K can make up a game of "Go night night, Grand" in about 5 seconds. Kids' imaginations will only grow when allowed the time & space.

So my new project -- wait, this is not work-related... it's a good wholesome vision for my life-- is to enjoy a balanced life with family & friends in a healthy, Christian way. I'm enthusiastic about this new approach & hope it's long lasting. Perhaps if I can quit over-booking myself, I won't do it to Little K or The Hubbie. What a loving mom I am!

Until the next nap time...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and I should give each other lessons! It's a good thing C goes to school every day or the only life experience she would have is HGTV. Maybe that is just because her weekends are my weekends too and that's all I feel like doing on MY weekends so guess who gets to go along for the ride? But I'm trying to be better about quality time. I'm taking a day off next week and we are having a Mommy-Daughter day with actual FUN ACTIVITES and not just errands. Wish us luck! I hope your neck is better. If you ever want to take a nap on a weekend, bring Little K on over - we'll turn them loose in the back yard with a the play set or a soccer ball and stand back!!!!!

Kids Activity Queen said...

So sweet of you. Maybe Trent & I should invite C over one night while you & Bill go out. Then, we'll switch another weekend. At least we'd get a good date night in without worrying about a babysitter!