Is the quality of family life important to you? According to a recent Harris poll, the majority of working men and women place the highest value on a work schedule providing plenty of time for family. We sure don't need to look very far to discover the challenges families are facing today. The good news is there are quick and easy ways to strengthen your family and promote each other's personal growth.
Here are 10 positive key strategies that you can use today to improve and strengthen your family now... and for years to come.
1. Make Family Your First Priority. Strong families spend lots of quality time together. We've all heard the well-known quote, "How do kids spell love? T-I-M-E!" Strong families spend lots of positive time working on family projects and playing together. And they enjoy being together too.
2. Appreciate One Other. Strong families appreciate each other's unique qualities and contributions and express their feelings openly. Make a commitment to compliment each other at least once each day.
3. Foster Communication. Strong families listen to each other, respect each other's opinions, and avoid interrupting. One of the most valuable ways to foster communication is by having at least one meal together each day. During the meal, make it a point to engage everyone on their daily experiences, discoveries, challenges and goals.
4. Strengthen Commitment. Strong families work together to solve their problems. They may not always agree, but they are willing and able to bring things out into the open and to talk about them.
5. Create Traditions. Strong families stay connected -- another reason for having at least one meal together each day. Also, give your children the gift of friendship with their cousins, aunts and uncles by keeping in touch regularly. You'll be giving them happy memories and friendships to last a lifetime.
6. Set Rules and Expectations. Strong families set and put into practice clear guidelines and limitations. Family members take responsibility for their actions.
7. Support Each Other. Strong families support one another during challenging times. When family members feel valued by one another, they know they have someone they can turn to for support.
8. Identify Your Family's Strengths. Have each family member write down something he/she likes about each family member (animals included!) Put them up on a bulletin board or refrigerator magnets for everyone to see.
9. Set Achievable Family Goals. Setting and achieving family goals, even if they are small, cultivates success and creates unity. Set goals together whether it's saving for a family trip, a car or a new home. The ideas are endless.
10. Strong Families Love Unconditionally. Strong families love with unconditional acceptance that builds strong heart and faith connections.
Special thanks to the Rockwell Team in Ohio for sharing these great tips that are helpful no matter where you live.
Until the next nap time...