Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Venting About Family

Loads of people vent about their families but not quite in this way.

Last Friday night, we ate dinner at a neighbor's house and a third family joined us. We began chatting about the growth & revitalization of our neighborhood as well as the new homes going up. Then, one girlfriend said that another neighborhood (I'll call him Ron because that's his name!) said this lot down the street from me was going up for sale soon.

"Which one," I asked.

"Oh, it's your Grandmother's lot," the gal said.

"Uh, no. It's not going up for sale," I said.

The conversation quickly moved on to other people's lots.

My Grandmother's lot isn't going up for sale because she's still alive! It seems that some people are watching time pass by in hopes of getting their hands on her property. Hey, Ron. Bug off! Where the heck is your grandmother living these days? Sorry. That was ugly. But this is not the first time he's asked when she's "moving on" or "how's her health?"

I'm appalled by the lack of respect for the elderly & the inconsiderate nature of strangers. I doubt our dining friend even realized she had hurt my feelings but this is my family you're talking about. I relish the fact that I am surrounded literally by family members in Houston. Family means so much to me. And the woman who held me in some of the most troubling times deserves more respect than that. Puts a new spin on "venting about your family," huh?

Until the next nap time...

No comments: